Wednesday, October 14, 2009

Carbs are Good!

After almost a year with only a little taste now and then of pasta I finally threw my diet to the wind last week and sat down and thoroughly enjoyed a spaghetti and meatball dinner I had made for myself at home. My dearest friend Prudence introduced me to a meatball mix from a company in Westerly, Rhode Island that created meatballs that were as good (if not a tiny bit better) than the meatballs we devoured at my aunt's house in the North End of Boston when we were kids. There's nothing quite like good, genuine Italian food on a cold autumn night.
I have to admit I cheated on the sauce. I used two jars of our Traditional Marinara and it was awesome. I rolled and placed the meatballs directly into the sauce (without browning them) and let them simmer in the sauce until cooked through. They were perfect! Thought you might get a kick out of a couple of fun translations of the pastas on our grocery shelves ...
Spaghetti, from spago, "cord"
Linguini, "little tongues"
Vermicelli, "little worms"
Conchiglie, "shells"
Rigatoni, "furrows," short, wide fluted tubes
Lasagna, ribbons of pasta (from Latin for "pot")
Fettucine," "small ribbons"
Ravioli, "little turnips"
Rotini, "spirals" or "twists"
Capellini (angel hair), "fine hairs"
Fusilli, "little spindles" (spirals)
Penne, "quills"
Tortellini, "little cakes"

What's your favorite and why?
Cynthia

No comments:

Post a Comment

Thank you for your comment!