Thursday, January 21, 2010

Going Skiing or Snowboarding in Maine?



Are you headed to Maine to ski or ride this weekend? The mountains have gotten 12"+ from this 3 day storm! (I shot this photo just yesterday) I'm taking the day off tomorrow to head up to ski country and I hope you'll be able to take advantage of this winter wonderland too!

Lucky for me, before I leave work I can stock up on cocoa and snacks for the weekend! The good news for you is that Stonewall Kitchen is super close to the highway and on your way to the mountains. We're just 7 miles after you cross into Maine on 95 North. Take the York, ME exit #7. (It is the last exit before the Maine toll plaza) The access road from the highway leads you straight into Stonewall Kitchen, you can't miss it!

My shopping list:

1) Sticks, Straws & pretzels! Grab some small ziplock bags and they make the perfect snack for the lift ride up the mountain. Who wants to have to take a break from the trails just because they need a snack? Not me!



2) Cocoa to keep in my thermos waiting in the lodge. Yes, I did just say I hate to have to stop - but sometimes your little toes get too frozen! Cocoa is the perfect cure for the chilly skier.



3) Drink mixers. All of the skiers I know like to unwind after a day on the slopes. Looking to save money at the ski lodge bar? Head back to where you are staying and mix up your own drinks. You'll look like a star with our quick & easy mixers. Just don't forget the vodka! I like Pinnacle and you can grab some at the NH state liquor store - also just off the highway.



Wondering where to ski in Maine? Here are three mountains I like:

- For beginners: http://www.shawneepeak.com/
With plenty of green trails, this mountain is small enough to not intimidate a beginner. However, it is still big enough keep skiers of all levels entertained.

- For intermediate skiing & riding: http://www.sundayriver.com/index.html
This is a mostly intermediate mountain. While there are still plenty of easy and hard trails most of the mountain is perfect for intermediate skiers.

- For the advanced road-tripper: http://www.sugarloaf.com/index.html
Visit Sugarloaf's snowfields for the only above the tree line skiing in the northeast! While this mountain does still have some green trails I think it might be a bit intimidating for a first time skier. The only drawback is that it's quite a hike... 3.5 hours north of Stonewall Kitchen!

1 comment:

  1. don't forget snowshoeing! I was out there today @ Wolfe Neck State Park in Freeport and it was just beautiful! Hot cocoa finished the day for sure! :)
    www.cascobaysoap.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for your comment!