Thursday, January 14, 2010

Deadlines? Solutions!

I’m usually good with deadlines, but sometimes life conspires to make things challenging as the clock ticks closer to the eleventh hour.

Wait. I should introduce myself. My name is Kelly, and I’m the newest contributor to the Stonewall Kitchen blog. (Not to be confused with “internet Kelly,” I am “sales Kelly,” henceforth known as KellyCS.) I’m a relatively new member of the Stonewall family, having joined its ranks in August 2008. However, I have been a consumer and fan for years, and am excited to have the chance to share with you my enthusiasm for the best specialty foods around.

Now back to deadlines. Dinner preparation sometimes loses in these contests of time. Luckily, there is always a solution in the pantry or fridge. Home late one evening, I wanted to make something fast but still delicious. I quickly thawed frozen chicken breasts in the microwave, cut them into long slices, and sautéed them in Roasted Apple Grille Sauce.

While the chicken cooked, I made some instant mashed potatoes. OK, I know what you’re thinking. Don’t laugh. They’re much better than they used to be – especially when made of baby red potatoes and swirled with a dollop of Roasted Garlic Onion Jamand super convenient when pinched for time. A crop of fresh broccoli in the microwave steamer made for a fantastic 4-minute veggie. And finally, for a little extra creaminess, just a teaspoon or so of sour cream stirred into the newly created “Roasted Apple Chicken.” Voila! Dinner. In about 15 minutes.

Another great solution for the time-challenged is to plan ahead for those days when you know you’ll be late. I suggest booking a class at the Stonewall Kitchen Cooking School.


My husband and I attended last night’s sold-out class with Chef Ben Hasty, and not only ate a crazily delicious meal, we learned a number of good tricks to use for future meals. I can’t wait to try making “rossiti” – a risotto-like dish made of potatoes that takes a fraction of the time that the classic rice-based dish takes. And blood oranges will definitely become a seasonal staple in our fruit bowl. We also learned not to fear rutabagas.

Thanks for reading. I’m off to make dinner.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Thank you for your comment!