Friday, December 18, 2009

A Simple Breakfast - Perfect for the holidays!

At this time of year, I often have guests staying over—and at my house, that means making sure that everyone is well fed. But with a full house, I usually shy away from cooking anything too complicated. (The pressure!)

This weekend I was inspired by a recipe that I stumbled across while thumbing through our Stonewall Kitchen Breakfast cookbook: (it's on sale too) Provencal Style Baked Eggs in ramekins. The ingredient list couldn’t be shorter: olive oil, scallions, thyme or basil, tomato, favorite hard cheese, eggs and cream. You just add the tomato mixture (scallions, thyme, tomato) sprinkle with cheese, add an egg, a little more cheese, and a little more tomato mixture. The trick is not overcooking the eggs, but otherwise, it really couldn’t have been easier. And you can add other fun flavors to the ramekins, if you like (I put in some sautéed artichoke hearts, zucchini or peppers right before adding the eggs.) Served with toast on the side, the dish was simple, but really special.

So I think this is my new drop-dead easy yet elegant breakfast dish (Now what about lunch and dinner? Hmmmm.) It'll be making its second appearance at Christmas. In the meantime, I’d love some more inspiration for super-fast yet impressive recipes, so please post your ideas.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Thank you for your comment!