Tuesday, October 12, 2010
Today it is about 50 degrees here in Maine. It's sunny but cool, definitely fall weather. As I look out the windows I can see the leaves changing and starting to fall. While I do miss the summer sun, I think how lucky we are to live in New England and experience all four seasons! As usual, my seasonal weather observations spurred thoughts of food. Fall foods. Mmmmmm...right about now I'd like nothing better than to be on my porch with a dish of warm Maple Pumpkin Bread Pudding and a great big mug of tea. Don't you agree?
Maple Pumpkin Bread Pudding
* 1 loaf good quality cinnamon raisin bread
* 3 large eggs
* 2 egg yolks
* 1 jar Stonewall Kitchen Maple Pumpkin Butter
* ¾ cup half and half
* ¾ cup heavy cream
* ¼ teaspoon cinnamon
* zest of one orange
* 2 apples, cored, peeled and diced (Braeburn or Winesap)
* 1 Tablespoon unsalted butter
* dash of salt
* ¾ cup toasted chopped pecans
1. Preheat the oven to 350 degrees. Line a sheet pan with parchment or foil.
2. Lay bread slices on pan and toast for 10 to 15 minutes until lightly browned.
3. Remove from oven and cut each slice into 6 pieces and reduce oven temperature to 325 degrees.
4. Butter a 9x13 pyrex pan and arrange bread pieces over bottom, slightly overlapping.
5. To prepare apples, in a sauté pan melt 1Tablespoon unsalted butter.
6. Add apples, salt and cinnamon and sauté until soft and golden brown, about 10 minutes.
7. Spread apples over the bread. Sprinkle with chopped, toasted pecans.
8. To prepare the custard, in a non-reactive bowl, whisk together eggs, egg yolks and Stonewall Kitchen Maple Pumpkin Butter.
9. Add orange zest, heavy cream and half and half.Mix thoroughly.
10. Pour custard over bread, nut and apple mixture. And allow to sit for 30 minutes.
11. Place baking dish in a large roasting pan. Fill with enough water to come halfway up sides of baking dish.
12. Bake in a 325 degree oven for 35-45 minutes, checking for doneness after 35 minutes, by inserting knife in center. If the knife comes out clean, bread pudding is done.
13. Serve warm with softened vanilla ice cream or softly whipped cream.