Since we can't send treat to all of our wonderful fans, here are some of our favorite Halloween Treat ideas. Click on the photos or links for the recipes.
Bake your favorite cake. We used three 8" layers. For the frosting:
- 1 cup Butter
- 1 cup Shortening (white)
- ½ tsp salt
- 1 tsp vanilla extract (clear)
- 4 cups Confectioner Sugar (sifted)
- Cream together butter and shortening. Beat until light and fluffy. Add salt and vanilla extract. Slowly add confectioner sugar until all combined. Beat frosting at high speed until fluffy.
- Frost cake with a thin layer of frosting, place in fridge and let harden (this will keep the crumbs from getting into the final frosting.
- Put aside approximately ½ cup white frosting and create ¼ cup black frosting and ¼ cup orange frosting (or your colors of choice)
- Once cake has hardened frost with approximately ½ inch of frosting. Make sure the top of the cake is smooth, sides can be somewhat rough. Tap the sides of the cake with the bottom of your spatula (or spoon) to make the distressed look.
- With the black frosting, create 4 circles on the top of the cake spaced evenly apart. Take a toothpick and starting from the center, drag the toothpick along the surface until almost the edge of the cake. Continue to do this around the cake to create spider web.
- For the spider, simply pipe out a small circle of black frosting, 8 legs and 2 little eyes. Place candy corn around the bottom of the cake to create a Halloween themed boarder.
The spider cake design & instructions are by Stephanie in our wholesale department. Aren't we lucky to have such talented employees?
* Comment on this post and tell us about your favorite Halloween treat. One lucky person will be randomly chosen to win our Farmhouse batter bowl gift! Only one entry per person. Comments close on 10/31/10 at midnight. The winning comment number will be chosen through www.random.org and announced on Monday.
Unfortunately our comment tool is displaying "-visit" instead of your signatures. You can still enter! Scroll down to the last comment and click "click here to enter." We're working with Linky tools (the list manager) to fix this problem soon! Thank you for your patience!