Monday, October 25, 2010

Harvest on the Harbor, did you enjoy it as much as we did?

I stand by my claim that Harvest on the Harbor was a foodie's idea of heaven. The hardest part for me was that I didn't have a big enough stomach! With so many wonderful choices I found myself full before I was out of foods and beverages to sample.

My first stop, of course, was to visit my co-workers and get some of the delicious bread pudding that I had been smelling all week! It seems that I wasn't the only one excited to get my hands on some. Many of you who visited our booth at Harvest on the Harbor liked it so much that you wanted the recipe. Well, as Richard promised many of you, I'm posting it.


Chocolate Bread Pudding with Bourbon Caramel Sauce

Serves 6


8 oz. bittersweet chocolate, chopped

4 oz. good quality white chocolate, chopped

1/2 cups whole milk

2 cup heavy cream

4 large eggs

1/2 cup plus 4 Tbsp. sugar; divided

2 tsp. pure vanilla extract

1/2 tsp. salt

14 cups, 3/4” cubed French bread with crust( about 12 zo.)

2 cups SWK Dulce de Leche sauce

1/4 cup Bourbon, plus extra to taste

Whipped cream, garnish

Dusting of cocoa


Preheat oven 350. Butter (not non-stick spray) 13x9x2 baking dish. Combine bread and both chocolates in a large bowl; Toss to blend. In another bowl, using an electric mixer, beat eggs,1/2 cup plus 2 Tbsp. sugar and vanilla to blend. Gradually beat in 1 1/2 cups cream and the milk. Add cream mixture to bread mixture; stir to combine. Let stand 30 minutes. Transfer bread mixture to prepared dish, spreading evenly. Drizzle the remaining 1/2 cup cream. Sprinkle with remaining 2 Tbsp sugar. Bake pudding until edges are golden and custard is set in the center, about 1 hour. Cool pudding slightly. Drizzle bread pudding with Bourbon Caramel Sauce and serve warm with whipped cream and dusting of cocoa.

Bourbon Caramel Sauce: Heat 2 cups of SWK Dulce de Leche. Add 1/4 cup (or more!) of bourbon. Mix well. Bring to simmer. Stir constantly, about 5 minutes. Remove and serve over pudding.



Patty demonstrated this recipe on the sweet stage with Zac Young of Bravo TV’s newest show, Top Chef Just Desserts. Did you know that Zac is from Maine? He is! In the style of 6 degrees of separation...Zac's 2nd cousin is my friend Abby's co-worker. Ridiculous connection, but true!


More photos from the event, like this one of me running off with an extra tray of bread pudding, are on our Cooking School's Facebook page. What happened to the rest of the extra trays? Several went to the Good Shepard Food Bank, some were saved for samples in our York store, and some were brought into the employee dining room for everyone else who was tortured with the delicious smell all week to try!


Lastly, how many jars of our Dulce de Leche dessert sauce did our cooking school use to make enough bread pudding for 4,000? 4 cases...48 jars!


No comments:

Post a Comment

Thank you for your comment!