Sunday, May 30, 2010

Memorial Day


The inspiration for this blog began at the local 24/7 store. Yeah, I know it is a pretty bizarre place to get any kind of inspiration but sometimes you just have to go with the flow. You see sitting out front of the store was a WWII veteran and what looked like his grandson. On the shaky card table were a bunch of red silk poppies and a can for donations.

I always put some money in the can and get a poppy to wear. It's a habit I picked up from my Grandmother when I was a little kid. She always bought a poppy and kept it in the visor of her car.

I never actually knew why poppies were worn on Memorial Day. I just googled it and here is what I found. Memorial Day is sometimes called Decoration Day because following the Civil War, people went to cemeteries to place flowers on or to "decorate" the graves of loved ones who died in the war. After World War I, it also became known as Poppy Day after Canadian Army Col. John McRae wrote a poem titled "In Flanders Fields." Now I know!

I am planning on gathering with friends and family for several cookouts. Working here at Stonewall Kitchen sometimes makes it difficult to decide what to grill. We have so many choices of sauces and marinades that I am having a hard time making up my mind. My guess is that I will end up in the store and buy several. My new favorite is our Thai Marinade – it makes shrimp out of this world!

A special thank you to all the servicemen and women, who have served, protected and sacrificed for our country and our freedom.

Not sure what I’ll make yet, but I’ll be wearing a poppy . . .

No comments:

Post a Comment

Thank you for your comment!