Portland, Maine and Portsmouth, New Hampshire, home to two of Stonewall Kitchen’s Company Stores, were recently included in Foodsnall.com’s Eight of the Best American Small Towns for Foodies. We were delighted, but not at all surprised, to hear the news. Thousands of food-loving tourists and loyal locals visit our stores in these cities each year, and the York, Maine company headquarters and flagship store is sandwiched (pun intended!) right in between. We love being part of the food culture in the New Hampshire seacoast area and Southern coast of Maine!
In honor of this recognition, we thought you’d enjoy learning more about our Portland and Portsmouth stores and some of our staff's favorite restaurants in these fabulous foodie towns.
Portland, Maine is often cited on those "Best Towns to Live in Now" lists and rightfully so. An eclectic and charming mix of a busy fishing port (New England's third largest) and art galleries, cobblestone streets, historic buildings and modern boutiques. The Stonewall Kitchen Company Store is located in the Old Port on Middle Street, in the middle of Exchange Street; a bustling quaint area of shops, galleries, and amazing restaurants.
A few of our staff favorite restaurants in Portland include;
- The Salt Exchange - Offers seasonal plates using local suppliers
- Havana South Restaurant - American Fine Dining with a Latin Flair
- Grace - a restaurant created in an old church, great menu and atmosphere
- Fore Street - A favorite for after work appetizers and drinks
- Otto - a casual pizzeria with fun toppings such as White Bean, Sausage, Herb & Red Flake
Portsmouth, NH is one of the oldest settlements in the United States. This historical fishing community has had its share of colonial upheaval and a modern revival to make it one of the most desirable cities on the Seacoast. Maintaining much of its early historic charm, Portsmouth is full of enchanting shops and great restaurants (leading contender for the U.S. city with the most restaurants per capita). The Stonewall Kitchen Company Store at 10 Pleasant St. in downtown Portsmouth offers a unique shopping experience.
In Portsmouth, you can usually find our staff enjoying these local restaurants;
- Cava Tapas and Wine Bar - a great tapas restaurant where you can order a la carte or of their phenomenal tasting menu
- Black Trumpet Bistro - offering a creative menu
- Agave - Authentic Mexican cuisine, with a second location in Newburyport, MA
- The Street - A new restaurant with an eclectic menu selection in a casual environment
- Jumpin' Jays Fish Cafe - a great place for larger groups, this restaurant has several local seafood options
We would love to know what your favorite restaurants are in Portland, ME and Portsmouth, NH are!