Wednesday, July 6, 2011
Bananas, class clown of the fruit world...do you love them or hate them? Is it just me or is it always the banana flavored candy* that gets left behind in the dish? I guess this is lucky for me, because I happen to love bananas. (Yes, please give me those little yellow candies passed over by others, I'll gladly partake!) Bananas always seem to be involved in jokes -- picture someone dramatically slipping on a banana peel, but the funniest of all banana items has got to be the banana cream pie. This pie seems to never be eaten and instead is only ever smashed in the face of an unsuspecting victim. Poor little pie. Well, as comical as it's reputation is, it'd like to propose it as a great choice for summer dessert. Our recipe, with a coffee caramel twist, promises not to disappoint. Don't worry, as usual I taste-tested it for you just in case. Enjoy!
Banana Cream Pie
* 3 Tbsp. corn starch
* 1/2 cup sugar
* 4 egg yolks
* 2 cups milk
* 1/2 vanilla bean
* 2 cups banana puree
1. Sift together cornstarch and half the sugar, add egg yolks and mix well.
2. Bring milk, vanilla and the rest of the sugar to a boil.
3. Temper cream into yolks. (click the link for instructions)
4. Return to stove and whisk until very thick.
5. Add banana puree to desired flavor and cool over night.
6. Pour into graham cracker crust, store bought or home made.
7. Top with fresh whipped cream flavored with a drop or two of almond flavoring or almond liquor.
8. Drizzle Stonewall Kitchen Coffee Caramel Sauce over top.
*As our Facebook fan Jilly Beanz pointed out, and I agree, real banana beats banana flavoring any day!