One of the most traditional events at any Country Fair is the pie contest. Pies of all different flavors and styles are submitted from people of all ages and if you are lucky enough to judge, you get a to try a little bit of everything. As much fun as it is to view all of the pies at the contest, it would be much more fun to actually get to taste them, so why not host a pie contest at your own home? We love this idea for a unique family and friend gathering. The Pie Contest in a Box gives you everything you need to host your own County Fair style pie contest....and you get to be the judge!
Pie Contest in a Box includes a Pie Contest Handbook that gives you the history of the pie contest and suggestions on categories and how to judge. Most importantly, it also contains the official ribbons for the winners. This holiday season, challenge your family members to see who holds the best family recipe. If we were entering, we would opt for a traditional Wild Maine Blueberry Pie, or something a little different like this recipe for Banana Cream Pie!
Banana Cream Pie
- 3 TBS Corn Starch
- 1/2 cup sugar
- 4 egg yolks
- 2 cups milk
- 1/2 vanilla bean
- 2 cups banana puree
- Whipping Cream
- Graham Cracker Crust - store bought or home-made
- Stonewall Kitchen Coffee Caramel Sauce
- Sift together cornstarch and half the sugar, add egg yolks and mix well.
- Bring milk, vanilla and the rest of the sugar to a boil.
- Temper cream into yolks.
- Return to stove and whisk until very thick.
- Add banana puree to desired flavor and cool overnight.
- Pour into graham cracker crust
- Top with fresh whipped cream flavored with a drop or two or Almond flavoring or almond liquor.
- Drizzle Stonewall Kitchen Coffee Caramel Sauce over top.
What type of pie would you enter into a pie contest?