Chocolate Shortcakes with Fresh Berries and Whipped Cream
For the berries:
- 2 pints fresh blackberries, rinsed and drained
- 1 pint blueberries
- 1/2 cup sugar
- 2 Tablespoons Amaretto
- 3 Tablespoons Cocoa Powder
- 2 1/2 cups unbleached all-purpose flour
- 6 Tablespoons white sugar
- 4 teaspoons baking powder
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1/4 teaspoon baking soda
- 1 cup unsalted butter, chilled, cut into 2" pieces
- 2/3 cup chilled buttermilk
- 1 large egg
- 2 Tablespoons Demerara Sugar to sprinkle
- 1 cup heavy cream
- 2 Tablespoons powdered sugar
- Powdered sugar for dusting as garnish (optional)
- In a large bowl combine the fruit, sugar and Amaretto. Marinate at room temperature for 1 hour.
- Preheat oven to 425 degrees Fahrenheit with oven rack in center
- Whisk cocoa powder, flour, sugar, baking powder, salt and baking soda in a bowl. Add cold butter and mix until the mixture resembles coarse damp sand (mixing with hands works best).
- Whisk buttermilk and egg until blended - add to flour mixer and mix until combined
- Gather dough and turn onto floured board. Knead 5 turns, cut into six 3" squares.
- Transfer to heavy ungreased baking sheet, spaced apart. Cover and chill
- Sprinkle Demerara Sugar on top
- Bake until puffy, about 18 minutes, and cool
- In a medium bowl, whip the cream to soft peaks. Add the sugar and whip until stiff peaks form. Keep cold until ready to use.
- Split shortcakes horizontally in half. Top each bottom half with a heaping tablespoon of berries and cream, place top half on top and top with remaining berries and cream. Garnish with powdered sugar and serve.