What better way to celebrate the first official day of summer than with a refreshing summer salad? Add lobster! We asked our facebook friends on National Lobster Day (June 15th) what their favorite way to enjoy a lobster is. The most popular response was straight from the shell, dipped in a little butter. Other popular ways included lobster rolls, lobster pot pie and even the Lobster BLT from our Cafe here in York.
Some people seem to get a little intimidated eating a lobster straight out of the shell, which is understandable. There are so many other ways that you can enjoy lobster without breaking out the lobster bib! One of my favorites is on top of a fresh salad. Here is a great recipe if you are looking to celebrate the start of summer with nice light, refreshing salad. Of course, you could always substitute the lobster for another protein, but here in Maine, lobster is our number one choice!
Lobster, Avocado and Mango Salad
- 4-6 tablespoons Stonewall Kitchen Champagne Shallot Mustard
- 5 tablespoons mayonnaise
- 2 tablespoons bottled clam broth
- 2 tablespoons minced shallots
- 1 1/2 teaspoons minced tarragon leaves or 1/2 teaspoon dried tarragon
- 4 to 8 red leaf or bibb lettuce leaves, washed and blotted dry
- 1 pound lobster meat
- 1 large ripe avocado, peeled and sliced
- 1 ripe mango, peeled and sliced
- Freshly ground black pepper to taste
1.Whisk Champagne Shallot Mustard, mayonnaise and clam broth together in a small bowl until smooth. Stir in shallots and tarragon. Cover and refrigerate while preparing salad.
2.Line 4 chilled plates with lettuce leaves. Divide lobster among plates, mounding meat in the center. Add avocado and mango slices in an attractive pattern surrounding the lobster. Grind black pepper over the salads; drizzle with dressing and serve