Chicken Pot Pie in a Pumpkin
- 6 Sugar pumpkins
- 2 tbsp melted butter
- 1 tsp nutmeg
- 1 cup milk
- 4 1/2 cup poached or roasted chicken
- 5 tbsp butter
- 2 tbsp fresh thyme leaves
- 3 tbsp chopped parsley
- 2 tsp salt
- 2 tbsp chopped fresh sage
- 1 tsp freshly ground pepper
- 1 lb pearl onions
- 5 tbsp all-purpose flour
- 9oz peeled cubed potatoes
- 2 medium peeled sliced carrots
- 12oz button mushrooms; quartered
- 2 1/2 c well-reduced chicken stock
- 1 large egg beaten with 1 tsp grated nutmeg and 1 tbsp heavy cream
- 2 sheets puff pastry, thawed
- Preheat oven to 375 degrees Fahrenheit. Slice the tops off the pumpkins (placed a pumpkin on a towel will help keep it from rolling around). Scoop out the seeds and discard them. Using a pastry brush, brush the insides of the pumpkins with the 2 tbsp melted butter. Season insides of pumpkins with 1/2 tsp salt, 1/4 tsp pepper and 1/4 tsp nutmeg. Place pumpkins on a baking sheet; cover tightly with foil and bake until tender, about 30 minutes.
- Bring a medium saucepan of water to a boil. Add pearl onions and let simmer for 15 minutes. Drain and rinse under cold running water. Peel onions and set aside. Melt 5 tbsp butter in a large, high-sided skillet over medium heat. Add potatoes and onions and cook, stirring occasionally until potatoes begin to turn golden.
- Add mushrooms and carrots, cook for 4-5 minutes. Add flour and stir for 1 minute.
- Add reduced chicken stock and milk and bring to simmer. Cook until thick and bubbly, stirring constantly for 2-3 minutes.
- Stir in chicken, parsley, thyme, save, remaining salt, pepper and nutmeg.
- Remove from heat and divide mixture among reserved pumpkin shells.
- Roll puff pastry sheets to 1/8 inch thickness and cut into 6 rounds large enough to cover pumpkins. Pull center of dough upward to form a pumpkin-like stem. Place over the hollow of each filled pumpkin. Using the back of a small paring knife, mark the dough to simulate the lines of the pumpkin.
- Brush top of dough with egg wash and bake until crust is golden, about 45 minutes.